Thursday, February 5, 2015

Review degree learning pathways


After reviewing the Communication Design and Computer Science and Information Technology degree pathways I reaffirmed commitment to Computer Science and Information Technology.  I'm part of the CSIT-In-3 program and know that this is where I belong.  I love coding more than I enjoy design.  However, I did notice that there were many classes that overlapped between both majors.  A class that I'm really looking forward to is Intro to Database Systems.  I feel that this is the class that will help me decide if I want to get my Masters in Information and Data Science.  This degree is offered at Berkeley as an online degree and it’s the first of it’s kind there at that school.  I don't know much about the subject but I do know that there is a big demand for people with these skills.  More and more companies need data scientists to sift through extremely large amounts of data and make sense of it.  This is what's giving companies the competitive edge that they need.  It’s the understanding of databases that allows websites we revisit to make recommendations to us as users.  I want to be on a team that does that.  I want to help write the algorithm makes recommendations based on the database of your previous transactions or online history.  Another class I'm looking forward to is the Capstone.  I'm looking forward to this because I have a business idea that I've been wanting to work on but haven't had the time because of all the classes I take.  This is the opportunity, if possible to get that project up and running.  Not only do I get to start the project but I get to start it professionally and in the proper real world way. Overall the this assignment was very useful in broadening my understanding of both majors.  I’m really looking forward to a bright future as a Software Engineer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment